1. I started my blog because I was procrastinating doing my homework one evening, I think. That's the most likely explanation. And I've always liked writing, and I figured since I was at a really cool college in one of the most exciting cities in the world, I'd have stuff to write about! That's definitely not the reason I've kept blogging, though. In my first post, I said that I wasn't going to post anything particularly personal, but I definitely didn't stick to that, partially because I noticed that the blogs I liked reading did include some personal content. I didn't anticipate how fantastic it would be to just get stuff off my chest and get some feedback on it. There are things I don't go into here, of course, but I truly was planning to keep my blog pretty impersonal. I'm glad that plan changed.
2. One thing I love seeing on other blogs is when people get personal! Kaelah, of Little Chief Honeybee, has a fantastic series called 'Honest to Blog,' where she posts whatever she's thinking about, unedited and candid.
3. Something I love about blogging is the wonderful community surrounding it. During the past year, especially, I've been amazed at how supportive and empathetic the blogging community has been. ...Okay, and I also love messing around with my blog layout.
4. A favorite blog post of mine is this one. Which is weird because it's a bunch of pictures and video clips that described how I was feeling after a break-up that left me devastated. It just felt good to get it out of my head and into a post, I guess. It was...satisfying to be able to express it through photos and music and film, because I couldn't express it in words. At the time, it didn't feel like a break-up, it felt like getting put on an ice floe and pushed out to sea. It feels strange to read it now, though, because one of the only things, in the relationship arena, anyway, that compares to being pushed away by someone you love is the realization when you eventually don't love them anymore. It's a very unsettling sensation.
5. Something that my friends in real life know that I've never mentioned on my blog is that I am ridiculously soft-hearted when it comes to movies, TV shows, and commercials. I cry every single time I watch the opening sequence of the 2009 Star Trek, I cry during Amelie, I cry when a woman on Say Yes to the Dress finds the dress of her dreams, and I cry during this cat food commercial:
(what can I say? I get emotional with relief when the explorer-cat finds the way home.)
6. My favorite blogs to read are Smile and Wave (Rachel's daughter, Ruby, is seriously one of the cutest children I've ever seen. And both Rachel and Ruby have fantastic vintage wardrobes.), Pieces of Wonderful (I'm in a craft swap with Lexie! One of the things I'm making for her is on my desk right now. Yaaaaaaay, crafting for lovely people is so much fun!), and Phantom of the Bingo Hall (This is Marissa's blog and she posts the best stuff. It's the perfect mix of geekery, cats, and pretty photos.).
7. Something I tend to avoid on my blog is venting posts. As I mentioned earlier, I love when people blog about things in their lives that are less-than-perfect-- it can get monotonous to read about how we're all leading these adorable little lives without any strife or frustration. But if I'm annoyed with someone or overly stressed out, I don't think my blog is the best place to air my grievances. This is not the Festivus blog. (Senfeld, anyone? Anyone?) It never does any good to take to the interwebz with an issue that's strictly between two people. (I'm an RA. I know this for a fact. For the love of god, do not blog, tweet, facebook, plurk, instagram, or tumbl whatever is going on. NEVER A GOOD IDEA.) Plus then you have to deal with feeling sheepish when the whole issue is settled, and... ugh. Not something I've ever done or am inclined to try.
It's Friday night! Anyone have fun plans?
I, for one, will be in my room on lockout RA duty and working on my leather project.
Posting will probably be a little scarce over the next few days becauuuuuse my mom is coming up for the weekend! Woohoo! Hope your weekend is great, too.