Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Monday, August 29, 2011
Sunday, August 28, 2011
That last one is actually from the dinosaur exhibit, but since I'm not much of a dinosaur person that was the only photo I took. I like the thought of dinosaurs, which I generally think of as being on the ferocious-and-slimy side, making sure that their kids had a nice, cozy, dry egg.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
I took lots and lots of pictures (though not in the planetarium, obviously), so I'll be posting them by exhibit over the next few days. Here are some from the hall of earth and space, which focuses on asteroids and volcanic activity.
[caption id="attachment_1957" align="aligncenter" width="480" caption="this has nothing to do with any exhibits, I just liked the floor."][/caption]
Hope you're all staying safe during this hurricane craziness! It hasn't even started raining yet in Manhattan, and my building is just baaaaarely in Zone C (Zone A is the one most at risk), almost not in any zone at all, so I'm not overly worried.
Hope you all have a lovely weekend!
Friday, August 26, 2011
1. One of life's most simple pleasures is: being clean in clean sheets. It's one of my favorite feelings ever.
2. People who complain about everything but solve nothing make me want to punch someone.
3. I like my new residents because they all seem very sweet and relaxed.
4. Toast is a funny word.
5. If I had to choose one beauty product to use for the rest of eternity it would be: my Burt's Bees honey lip balm. It doesn't have a strong taste or smell and it's really moisturizing.
6. I'm happy that I have my Hurricane Irene essentials ready: yarn, granola, tea, and the latest issue of Artful Blogging. I'm set.
7. I would never: date a guy who wore outlandish amounts of gel in his hair. Knock that off.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
I stopped by Anthropologie on my way back from the High Line the other day (which completed my perfect morning). If you follow my tumblr, remember when I completely flipped over this dress?
Well, the Lepidoptera dress is now mine mine mine. Yay! I love how it's a little bit academic, each butterfly is given a figure number, like in a textbook, with its name. And the crinoline at the hem makes me feel like Alice in Wonderland.
Apparently, I'm in a butterfly phase, because this calender also came home with me.
It's so pretty.
Monday, August 22, 2011
this morning was my first trip up to the High Line since section 2 was opened. it was lovvvvvely.
cutest water-fountain sign ever!
happy monday, lovelies!
Saturday, August 20, 2011
Oh my gosh you guys, it's been such a hectic week that I totally forgot about fill-in-the-blank friday! So here it is, a day late.
1. My idea of pure perfection would be: walking on the boardwalk with my parents and my brother in Cape May. That was always so much fun.
2. Having a sense of humor makes the world go round.
3. If it weren't for needing money to do so, I'd take trips to all sorts of places with my mom and Marissa (probably separately though, Marissa and I find each other hilarious but I suspect we can be a little hard to take after a while). I'm still planning on doing that, it's just not going to be immediately.
4. Bloggers are: generally a sweet, lovely bunch of people. ♥
5. If I had a million dollars I'd buy: an apartment in the West Village, and a cottage in Cape May. And I'd go on lots of trips.
6. I'm glad it's Friday because: well, it isn't Friday anymore. But I'm glad it's Saturday because my residents start moving in today! It's so nice not to be on an empty floor anymore.
7. Something I'm excited about is: working on my inspiration journal! I've been kind of storing up ideas because with everything that went on this summer, I haven't had the mental clarity or energy to be very creative. And it'll be good to have something positive to focus on.
Friday, August 19, 2011
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Sunday, August 14, 2011
By the time you all read this, I'll be on my way into the city, yay! ...That is, if I haven't managed to wreak complete havoc with this ridiculous klutziness that has taken hold of me. I couldn't hold onto anything yesterday! I dropped....
- my mom's camera
- a half-gallon of milk
- my laptop
- several forks
- my ipod
- an onion
I'm not generally known for being graceful, but eeeeek! Hopefully by now I've gotten a grip.
Heh. Get it? A grip? Nyuck nyuck nyuck.
Saturday, August 13, 2011
In less than twelve hours, I'll be back to New York. I'm so excited.... I miss the city. This is the first time I've felt that way. I always have missed my room by the end of the summer, and having daily routines, but this is the first time that I've really missed the city itself. So here are a few of the things I'm looking forward to when I get back to my lovely little island.
- decorating my room, of course! My wall decals arrived right on time, and I drew out some possible floor-plans for my room (yes, I'm that obsessed with it). And I have sheer gauzy curtains now, yay!
- going to the new section of the High Line to do my required reading for the honors program at my school. I did this last year and it was so, so lovely, and this year I'll have ten new blocks to explore!
- RA training. I know it's geeky of me to enjoy this so much, but I'm a sucker for a good team-building exercise. That aspect, paired with my fondness for paperwork and slightly tedious tasks (no, I'm not kidding, I actually love those. I'd be a kick-ass secretary.), RA training is one of my favorite weeks.
- Afternoons at S'nice! I did most of the work for my online class last semester while at my favorite table at S'nice with a glass of chamomile tea and for some reason it's a place that I'm extra-super-productive.
- Being within easy walking distance of my very favorite Anthropologie, the one in Chelsea Market. Oh, thank god, because I'm going into some serious withdrawal.
- Seeing my pally pals, yaaaaay!!!!
I'll take photos of my room tomorrow, before and after decorating.
On a completely unrelated note, I have a little request for you, lovelies...
I so, so appreciate your reading my little pastel corner of the internet, each and every one of you. I try to make my blog content as pretty and honest and interesting as possible. Which is why it's kind of a bummer to see the stuff from here posted elsewhere with no mention of having seen it here, especially when it happens frequently within a short time frame. I'm all for sharing the loveliness, that's what blogs are for! But if you come across something here that you like and you post it somewhere else, pretty please link back?
Thank you darlings!
1. My most favorite birthday was: a bunch of years ago, I don't remember how old I was turning, but I had a birthday party at my house and we made a big web of yarn all around my yard, and each person got an end of the yarn and followed it to a flashlight, and then there was a treasure hunt of some sort (I think peanuts were involved, but I don't remember in what capacity). It was very fun.
2. My worst birthday was: when I was sixteen (I think) and, without naming names, some people I was close to at the time were pretty thoughtless. Moving right along...
3. My favorite birthday memory is: when my brother was gone all afternoon in Cape May, looking for my birthday present, and he came back and said, "I didn't see anything that was right for you, I'll look again tomorrow." And the next day he gave me the most beautiful green blown glass bird, which I still have and love. Zach's always been pretty great with presents, actually, the Ice Dance Princess he gave me for Christmas when I was five or six was one of my all-time favorite toys.
4. The best birthday present I've ever received was: getting to hear my dad sing happy birthday over the phone this year. I miss him so much.
5. The best birthday present I've ever given was: ...hm. I'm not sure. I'm generally better with Christmas presents than birthday presents. But I did once send a pretty cool birthday package to a guy I was dating at the time, that was a fun one.
6. Birthdays are: nice. I like having an excuse to do all sorts of fun things for someone, even if it's just hiding little presents in their bag or something.
7. My favorite age so far has been: I don't know.... 20 was decent. Every age has had its ups and downs.