(these are love-themed, too! Lauren wrote them to celebrate her anniversary.)
1. The love of my life is out there somewhere. Right? Right?
2. Falling in love is strange. You're just going along, living your life, and then wham! You suddenly realize that you can't imagine life without one particular person and then you have to figure out what they feel about you, and... although, y'know what? That's totally not how I go about falling in love. I'm of the opinion that love is a good thing even when it doesn't last forever, and I've never been one to read relationship advice, and while I had plenty of moments of "Aaaah! How does he feeeeeeel about me?" in high school, I pretty much just roll with it now. I don't have the time or inclination to play hard-to-get or try to convince someone to be romantically interested in me. I don't play hard-to-get because I am hard to get. I have pretty high standards, and I know that removes quite a few fish from the dating pond, as it were, and it doesn't bother me. When I'm in a relationship I give it everything I've got and I'm clear about my feelings and I enjoy every moment I have with that person. So I kinda expect the same level of effort from whomever I'm in that relationship with. As for trying to convince a guy to be romantically interested, I just cannot be bothered. I am either someone's cup of tea or I am not and all the tomfoolery in the world isn't going to change that.
Oh boy. I said 'tomfoolery' and 'cup of tea' in the same sentence. I am officially old.
This answer has gone way off-track.
3. Marriage is a big flipping deal. Especially now, when it's completely socially acceptable to live together as a couple and never get married-- it's something that I think people should very sure they want to do before they actually do it. That said, I do also think it's very special, and everyone should have the chance to do it if they want to. Saying something is equal to marriage does not make it equal to marriage and I can't believe with all of the other tragedies happening in the world that this is even an issue. If two people are deeply in love and want to get married, for crying out loud, let them.
I'm looking at you, NJ Governor Chris Christie. And I have my disappointed face on.
4. The longest relationship I've ever had was about two years.
5. The key to a good relationship is empathy. I think if you can imagine how the other person feels, it makes you more honest, more caring, more sensitive, and creates a closer bond. This goes for any relationship, not just romantic ones.
6. I feel loved when someone does something sweet that they know specifically that I'll like. I'm not talking about big stuff, either-- I feel loved when someone leaves me the middle pieces of bread for a sandwich because they know I don't like the end pieces, or when takes my hand when we're walking into an unfamiliar situation because he knows sometimes they make me shy and uncomfortable.
7. My favorite quote about love is this one!
It always makes me think of one of my very favorite nights ever, spent wandering around Manhattan holding hands and giggling and going on the swings in Battery Park.
anyone have fun weekend plans?
Post a Comment
thank you so much for visiting, and for your thoughts! x